Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Words of my Mouth and the Meditation of my Heart

So we've been going through a rough patch around here the last few months. In my head and in my spirit I know that all is well. I know that God loves us and holds my family in his hands. I know that He guides my every step and provides my every need. I don't doubt at all that we will make it through this and come out the other side without a burn or the smell of smoke on us. But the fact of the matter is that I can't wait until this phase of life is just a part of our testimony. 

I know that in my flesh I tend to be a pessimist. I know that I often spend too much energy on the what ifs and the whenevers. My husband says or does one thing, and I infer 20 more things that he must have meant by that. These are things about myself that I have literally been trying to change for years now. God has spoken many scriptures to me over the years that I continually rely on to keep that nasty fleshy part of my personality from popping up, but the other day I think I finally had the much needed paradigm shift deep down inside of me. I know it sounds simple, but I realized in a fresh way that I have the power and the necessity to take every thought captive and make sure that the words of my mouth AND the meditation of my heart is pleasing and acceptable in the sight of the Lord because life and death are in the power of the tongue.

So first, the scriptures that I am clinging to:
Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalm 34:1-3
I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul will make its boast in the LORD; The humble will hear it and rejoice. O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.
James 1:16-17
Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good thing is given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is not variation or shifting shadow.
Romans 8:18, 24-27
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us...For in this hope we are saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it in patience. Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
2 Corinthians 5:17-19
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting men's sins against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
Numbers 14:28
Say to them, 'As I live, declares the LORD, what you have said in my hearing I will do to you:
Proverbs 18:20-21
With the fruit of a  man's mouth his stomach will be satisfied; He will be satisfied with the product of his lips. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

That's a heck of a lot of scriptures you say. Well, did I mention how terribly hard-headed I am?  I don't always learn easily, so thankfully God usually speaks the same thing to me over and over and over and over until I finally get it.  And here is the fleshing out of all of those scriptures:
My kids are driving me crazy.  Why can't I just have one hour of peace quiet?
Praise you God that I have two amazing little girls that are fully functioning, happy and energetic.  I pray for all of the women out there who are desperately wanting children today and who have children with serious health and mental issues which keep them from running around the house and hanging on their moms' legs.
My husband just isn't doing what I think is right or best for our family.  I can't believe he still hasn't found a job.  What is taking so long God?
Thank you God for the man of God that you have paired me with.  I praise you that you knew just what I needed to balance out my high strung personality and you put me in the family as you saw fit.  I believe that your timing is better than mine and your ways are better than mine.  I pray that very soon you will bless my husband with the job that you have perfectly created for him and his personality.  I pray for the women out there that really want to be married but have no mate.  I pray for the women who are married to ungodly and unkind men.  I pray that you will protect and heal those women.
My house is a wreck always.  I can't seem to keep up with this place.  
Thank you, thank you, thank you that we are so blessed that we can actually own a house.  I thank you that there is a family in this house to keep dirtying it up.  I pray for those without homes that you would keep them warm and filled and that they would be protected from the elements of this winter as they brave the cold without the luxuries that I have surrounding me.
Dishes and clothes are a futile task.  I clean only to have things dirtied.  These are my least favorite tasks, yet they are the ones I have to continually stay on top of.
All praises to my God who provides our every need.  Even without a means of gainful employment, our family has never lacked in one area. We are so blessed to have cousins that continually hand down clothes to our children, and we tend to find incredible deals when we do go shopping for something.  I pray for people all over this world who are hungry, thirsty and naked today.  There are children who dig in the dump for sustenance and can't even afford to buy a pair of flip flops.  I pray that you would provide money and supernatural means to keep those kids and all others filled and healthy today.
This stinking car is still broken down, and we can't afford to have it fixed.
Thank you  God that we have two cars.  So many people don't have a vehicle and our driveway is full.  I thank you that this comes at a time when we don't really need to cars.  I thank you that we have friends and family that can help us out if we ever do need to get somewhere that we aren't able to drive. I pray for those people that need some mode of transportation to get them to and from work so that they can survive.

As you can imagine, the list goes on and on.  God continually speaks as we search his word and converse with him.  Please don't be mistaken and think that I've got it all under control now.  I'm not that spiritual :) I will rehearse these verses and prayers over and over and over for the coming months, and hopefully I will eventually brainwash myself into believing God's Word over my circumstances when the pressures of everyday mommy life pop up.

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration to me! I love you!!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. The best is yet to come! Be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete